Saturday, February 5, 2011

I refuse to acknowledge any more snow

Taken in the backyard of my former home in Marshall IL

One of the many Holly Hock plants I had in the Marshall gardens
It is snowing yet again. Enough said.

So if I can't go out to take new photos, we are going through the archives of old photos on the laptop. Said computer has Windows Vista as an operating system. I don't like it, never did. There is probably a mental block against this OS, but I am desperate and will try to work out the issues so I can grab some pics.

I had a large lot in Marshall, with a field on the south side, a small factory that was very quiet, and a neighbor to the west. She had dense woods to the west of her property. Marshall IL is located in the Wabash Valley of central Illinois and Indiana. It is actually starting into southern Illinois, which is so different from the Chicago metro area, you have a hard time believing you're in the same state. The Wabash Valley is hot in the summer months. Humid and hot. There were times we would be 20 degrees warmer than the northern part of the state. Great weather for flower gardens. And boy, did I have flower gardens.

The other and perhaps scary aspect of living in the Valley were the storms. I have never been through thunderstorms like those I experienced while living in Marshall. It seemed we had one tornado watch after another, from March to November, and if a twister didn't touch down, the wind damage could still be severe. Along with this came torrential rains and lightning. This house had lightning rods affixed to it that were grounded in cement alongside the structure. I was told by an experienced, well seasoned roofer (ie: old) that those rods had probably saved the house more than once.

Do ya see a theme here, guys? I am not talking about snow, or sleet, or the fact I can't walk down my driveway. I am looking towards SPRING. Sigh.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment