Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reflections

My house, Gracie. My toy.

But I'm a house guest, Max.

Max the Man
The first dog that Gracie learned to interact with was Max. He belonged to my granddaughter, Terra. We're not super sure what Max is. There is definitely Jack Russell, and I think either some type of terrier or one of those fou-fou dogs. You know what I mean.

Gracie met Max when she was about 5 months old. It was love at first sight. They played, ran, jumped, chased, barked, and created general havoc for the entire weekend. At the time, Max was living with Terra at my stepdaughter's house. From that point forward, whenever I visited Gracie would start to whine and quiver when we pulled up in front of the house. Both dogs slept for a full day after a weekend of play.

 Long story, but Max is now living with a friend's mom, not with Terra. The last time we were up to see everyone, Gracie walked around the house searching for her buddy. Sarge could have cared less, as he and Max were not close. Gracie cried a lot that day. I know, Gracie. I miss him, too.

So the point of this post is please be sure that you want an animal forever before you obtain one. I know that circumstances can change, that finances can play a huge role in whether or not you have a dog or cat. But please consider all of the good and bad points in ownership. Yes, it cost a lot to have a dog. Yes, you have to devote time and effort to have a well trained, content pet. And, oh yeah, furniture can be destroyed or damaged.

I don't care. I wouldn't trade my two babies for anything in this world. But that's me. If you are thinking about gifting someone with a pet for Christmas, please think about all of the consequences. That's all I ask. Have a great day.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment