Sunday, September 12, 2010

Altered Cigar Box #2

Cigar Box altered for sewing needs

Details on the lid of the box

Front of the box
I have a blast doing these altered projects. And it feels good to recycle, something we have moved away from in past years. It's nice to find a purpose for an object that, for the most part, would have been discarded.

This is a square, wooden cigar box. I first primed it with a product called Gesso, then painted it black, using craft paint. The green vintage style paper is from the Material Girl line by Cosmo Cricket. The tape measure paper is from the same line. I love where you can purchase one sheet of 12x12 paper, and slice it up for various projects.

I stamped the spool images, sewing machine, dress form, and Little Sewing Co. sign on scraps after cutting the bigger green pieces. Then just cut them out and adhered. With the spools, I wrapped embroidery floss around them first, then placed them on pop up adhesive. The large flower on top was cut out with Tim Holtz's distressed flower die, using a paper from the Thrift Shop line by October Afternoon. One side of the paper is a reproduction of an old sewing pattern, the other side is the black background with white dots. So I just flipped every other flower to get that effect.

We're getting ready to leave for the dog pool party in Plainfield, at the outdoor Splash Island. This is an annual fundraising event. I seriously doubt my dogs will go in the water, but it will be good to be out on such a beautiful afternoon. Enjoy yourselves.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment