Monday, August 21, 2017

Class Assignment

Finished


where I stopped and left it for several days

the reference photo from the internet
This month in Christy Sobolewski's Impetuous Class we are studying and practicing Impressionism in water soluble mediums. The emphasis is on watercolor, Neocolor II's, acryclic inks, and gouache. I have yet to try acrylic inks. I have enough on hand to be able to mix flesh tones, but once dry they are permanent, and that scares me at this point. I have now developed a feel for being able to manipulate the under coats of watercolor and/or Neocolor II crayons.

Christy used a different painting as a reference in her example. The artist is Hung Liu, and you can google that name and see hundreds of examples of his work. I like it all. I don't think I emulated it very well, but it was a challenge and a great learning experience. I don't do butterflies very well, but that was kind of the point. I did an impression, my impression, of a butterfly and a flower in her hair. It was not meant to be exact.

The background was done all in watercolor. I then used a wet brush to lift some of the color off to create lines. Her face, hair and some of her clothing has gouache paint added over the water color. The runs of black are gouache, and that gave me fits. Did not want to run. When I got 3 drips I called it done.

Looking at this page this morning, I see more that can be done. I may go back and add, or may move on. The beauty of working in an art journal is it is yours and yours alone.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment