Wednesday, February 8, 2017

X Marks the Spot

The first layers were attached

Then came the tricky part

Gracie May Sue, reclining on pillows in the exact middle of my king size bed

Jake, left to make a pallet out of 2 quilts on top of the bed
To say my dogs are spoiled is an understatement.

I had a blast making this assemblage. From discovering the rusty look to putting it all together, it just felt right. I am starting another one today. This is a canvas board from an economy pack at Michael's. On the board itself, I put 4 stripes of paint in complimentary colors, and when dry put a light wash of white gesso over some of it. Then started glazes with different complimentary colors. When completely dry, I ran a Distress Ink pad in Rusty Hinge around the edges and onto some of the board. Did a splatter of black paint, which pretty much was covered up.

The rusty cardboard I explained in a previous post, along with the rusty die cuts. The foreign language text old book pages are from my friend, Klara in Cleveland. We trade ephemera. Love it. The smaller old text pages are from an antique dictionary that I glued to a large manila tag, then cut out with Spellbinder dies. That would be the circle to the left of the X's, and the X in the center. Except for the circle dies, all other dies are from the Seth Apter collection. Bo Bunny scrapbook paper was used for the green, textured part. I ran that through the Cuttlebug with a Seth Apter embossing folder for the squares. Then lightly touched a Distress Ink pad in Vintage Photo to highlight the embossing in spots.

At the top is a metal bracket from a pack at Hobby Lobby, the Paper Studio brand. Cheap when on 50% sale, and there are 3 in the pack. I typed the word Discover in American Typewriter font on the computer, then lightly ran Vintage Photo over that. Except for attaching the bracket with metal brads, the entire project was affixed with Liquitex Gel Medium. I did have to use bulldog clips to hold the base papers down overnight before starting the layering. If you are going to try this, weigh the pieces down until dry. I learned from my first assemblage effort that if you glue too fast, curling of some papers will ensue.

We have snow moving in this afternoon, so I am staying home to work on another board. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment