Monday, April 9, 2012

Slowing Down


Llama will protect the herd from predators

Two of the older babies
I had a very relaxing day on Easter. We left early to drive to the farm, stopping at a rest area. The dogs like to get out of the car and sniff, walk around a bit, on a longer drive. It seems to calm them down. Once we arrived, I helped Leah get 6 sheep for Gracie to herd. At this time of year, it isn't easy because the lambs stay close to the moms. There are very few dogs Leah will allow in the pen with the lambs because we don't want them to get hurt. So while Knuckles, one of her male border collies, was stirring and holding the herd, Leah would grab sheep that had not just given birth, and I was opening and slamming shut the pen gate.

We then had Gracie drive the sheep from pen to pen, through gates, into the large pasture so we could work. Simply sentence. Just doesn't convey how damn hard that really is. Found myself smashed by 6 sheep against the first gate, slammed into the second gate, and once again, folks, on the ground in the pasture. The first time was my own fault. I tripped. When I tried to get up, Gracie was too close to the herd and that drove them forward, over me which in turn knocked me down again.

I didn't get hurt. Guess the reason for that is I'm so used to hitting the ground I've learned how to fall. But it was an enlightening experience. I now see very clearly what my little Aussie is doing wrong. She loves short cuts. No more. I'm onto her now. Gracie must think she worked hard yesterday, well, wait until next week.

The other light bulb going off over my head yesterday was that I have been just too busy. My life had turned into me running in 3 different directions constantly with work related obligations, and then adding the dogs into that mix was the topper. Getting too old for this shit. Time to slow down again. One of the reasons I had not posted on the blog for weeks is that I had no new photographs. I had stopped doing something that I dearly love. So starting today, I am taking a deep breath and making an effort. Life is just too short.

Enjoy your Monday. Stop and smell a spring flower.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment