Friday, August 19, 2011

A Great Grandma Again!

Bella at 11 months

Gianna, 2 days old

I first got a text message, then a phone call on Tuesday night. Terra, my granddaughter, was in labor. We had had a plan of action in place for weeks. It always helps to be prepared. There were enough family members to babysit Bella, who will be one on September 2nd, until I got there.

This was an interesting, exhausting, entertaining and very pleasurable experience. Me and Bella, alone, for two whole days. During the afternoon of the first day, her mom requested I bring her up to the hospital to meet her sister. Okay. No problem. Except no one had mentioned that they had switched hospitals. Grandma Linda carted Bella and an enormous diaper bag, without a stroller, through a parking garage, down corridors to find out we were at the wrong hospital. Well, crap.

Reverse, and do it again to return to the car, strap in the child, and away we go. Second, correct hospital, and the parking is closer. This is a good thing. Except the actual hospital is larger, and no one explained about the wings. Grandma is barely holding onto this child who now weighs more with each step, when a very kind nurse took pity on me, and offered to carry Bella while she showed me the correct location. God bless that nurse. My left arm was ready to fall off.

Bella ignored the baby. No matter what mom or dad said, or did, Bella could not be bothered with that noisy little thing in daddy's arms. No. She wanted to play in this new environment, full of all kinds of trouble. The next encounter between sisters was this morning. And that ugly green demon was rearing it's head: jealousy.

I think, I hope, it will all work out. I'm confident it will. Terra and Jeremy are wonderful parents, who totally understand that all children need boundaries, schedules, and rules. Bella is loved, hugged, smooched, and corrected.

I miss them already, but had to return home to get my own babies from the pet sitter. Dog kisses and hugs are good, too.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment