Saturday, May 14, 2011

Let the good times roll

Seeing the world with a plastic bell around his head

The first 2 days all he did was bang into everything
Please take note of Miss Gracie's eye
Well, this has been an interesting experience. I knew in my heart that Gracie was ready to have another brother. She had become lethargic at home, mopey, and only perked up when she had someone to play with. Enter Jake.

Jake is 18 months old, so he is younger than Sarge was when he left. Sarge was 5 1/2 when he was killed. Different breed. I don't know exactly what breed Jake is, but it is certainly not Sheltie. Not timid at all. I think what I have on my hands are two alpha want-to-be dogs. So it balances into an equal battle for power. Gracie is not used to this type of behavior. She was used to waltzing up to Sarge and having him surrender whatever it was she wanted.

The second day Jake was with us, Gracie did try that little move. Jake had a Nyla bone, and was laying down chewing it in the yard. Gracie came up and looked at him. Jake picked up and bone and moved 1 foot. Gracie moved, lowered her head, and gave a little growl/whine, as if to say, "Perhaps you didn't understand the statement I was making, Jake." Well actually he did. He picked up the bone and moved 3 feet, ignoring her completely. I am on the deck laughing.

Gracie does not try to steal food or treats from Jake. He let her know that the food was off limits, and he had a right to eat as much as she did. I have a feeling that with the balance of power so even, my life is going to be a tad easier. I'm liking it.

Within the next two weeks, Jake will be groomed and I am going to take him to a manners class. Something he needs.

Have a great weekend,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment